On March 31, 1917, a Alameda institution opened its doors to the public. Named "Neptune Beach", it was to be the home of family fun and recreation for more than two decades, and would come to be called "The Coney Island of the West".
Located at the intersection of Webster and Central, its entrance was marked by a very tall Moorish style tower that was decorated with colorful tiles. Behind this entrance, visitors found swimming pools, a very tall high diving platform, a dance hall, a merry-go-round, and a fairway of fun. Rides in the fairway included, at one time or another, a flying biplane ride, a speedway, a roller coaster and a Ferris wheel.
Additionally, Neptune Beach was the venue for many sporting events, including boxing and wrestling matches. The effects of the Depression took hold, and the center closed in 1940, and the buildings were demolished and hauled away. Traces of its roots and Moorish look can still be seen in the nearby Neptune Court Apartments just west of the old entrance.