Residents of the Fernside District in Alameda owe a great deal to A.A. Cohen. Most of their homes were built on the site of his property, called Fernside, which was once the largest estate in Alameda. Built in 1874, on 106 acres, the home, housing his family of a wife and seven children, had 50 rooms. These rooms included a ballroom, a library, a great hall and an atrium.
On the grounds, Cohen installed a bowling alley, a billiard hall as well as a large carriage house and stables. Sadly, he passed away just 13 years later in 1887. Although his wife and family stayed on in the home, another serious event struck when the main house was destroyed by fire in 1897.
The wife, Emilie died in 1924, and the land south of Fernside was sold by children to be developed into the present neighborhood of grassy lawns and tree lined streets.
The newly renovated shopping center that services the area is just adjacent to the Fruitvale Bridge, and has a Nob Hill Market, a Pet Food Express, a roomy, modern gas station and many food and service shops ideal for a resident's "quick trip to the market".